The Community Ice Sheet Model (CISM)
This is the former home page for developers and users of the Community Ice Sheet Model (CISM).
CISM2.0 was publicly released in October 2014. It is hosted by the CISM github organization. For information about CISM2.0, or to download the source code, please see here:
- http://oceans11.lanl.gov/cism/ -- CISM home page
- https://github.com/cism/cism -- CISM repository on github
CISM is a next-generation ice sheet model that will be used for predicting ice sheet retreat and sea level rise in a warming climate. This model is freely available to the glaciology and climate modeling communities and serves as the ice dynamics component of the Community Climate System Model (CCSM).
The starting point for CISM was the Glimmer ice sheet model developed at the University of Bristol and elsewhere. CISM2.0 was developed primarily by researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory and other Department of Energy laboratories.
Initial planning for CISM took place during a workshop held at Los Alamos National Laboratory on 18-20 August 2008. Six focus groups were organized at the workshop to guide model development and testing. Links to the focus groups and workshop are below.
- AssessmentGroup (SeaRISE)
- University of Montana ice sheet wiki: http://websrv.cs.umt.edu/isis/index.php/Main_Page
- SeaRISE wiki: http://websrv.cs.umt.edu/isis/index.php/SeaRISE_Assessment
- GLIMMER ice sheet model: http://forge.nesc.ac.uk/projects/glimmer
- Parallel Ice Sheet Model (PISM): http://www.pism-docs.org/
- SICOPOLIS ice sheet model: http://sicopolis.greveweb.net/
- Interactive System for Ice sheet Simulation (ISIS): http://www.cs.umt.edu/ISIS/
- LANL Climate, Ocean and Sea Ice Modeling (COSIM) group: http://climate.lanl.gov/
- Community Climate System Model (CCSM): http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/
- CCSM Land Ice Working Group: http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/working_groups/Land+Ice/